As 2009 winds down, I wanted to give one more mention of the new Oregon area code that is set to be introduced in 2010. The new area code, 458, is set to augment the 541 area code that is already in place for the mid, southern, and eastern portions of Oregon. What does this mean for your Internet and telecommunications services? At PEAK, this means that if you connect to the Internet through a dial-up connection, you will need to update the area code section of your connection settings to 541. Otherwise you will most likely receive an error when trying to connect after the new area code gets introduced.
- Open Internet Explorer
- Go up to the top of the browser and locate Tools, left click.
- Go down to Internet Options (this will be at the bottom), left click.
- Internet Properties Box is now showing, at the top you will see a number of “Tabs” find the Connections Tab and left click.
- Find the Peak connection in the white box below labeled “Dialup and Virtual Private Network settings”, left click your connection then look to the right and left click “Settings” (found below Add and Remove)
- Now next to the Account name you will find a “Properties” Button, left click.
- Left click at the beginning of the dialup number listed before you, if you are not at the very beginning please use your arrow key to the left until you are at the beginning.
- Now type in your area code (541,458) you do not need spaces, hyphens, or parentheses.