OSP Underground Construction Technician Position
- OSP Underground Construction Technician
- Department: Engineering
- Reports To: Field Service Supervisor
- Location: Lebanon, Oregon with travel to remote sites
- Pay Rate:
Laborer duties will include general labor duties related to telecommunications construction as directed by the Lead, Foreman and or Supervisor.
- All phases of underground construction include but are not limited to: Loading, driving, delivery, digging, removal and placement of various types, sizes and weight of construction materials and equipment
- Reading and interpretation of maps and or prints to determine or establish routing of existing or proposed new underground infrastructure.
- Pre-construction walkout and design of underground routing.
- Locate existing utilities to ensure clear path free of obstacles for placement of underground fiber.
- Lead and or train other employees in the safe and efficient construction techniques used in the placement of underground fiber optics.
- Hand dig using shovel, mechanical tools
- Install and maintenance of underground telecommunications cabling
- Climb into and out of equipment (trucks, cars, backhoes, trenchers, etc.)
- Operate or work around heavy equipment and machinery to include Mini Excavatpr, Trenchers, plows, bore rods, missiles etc.
- Working in congested or remote areas
- Maintain visual and audible contact with other crewman and all moving or stationary persons/vehicles/objects to ensure safe coordination of movement
- Perform general construction work under direction of Foreman/Supervisor
- Flagging, property or worksite restoration
- Maintain safe working habits/conditions according to all regulations, procedures and policies
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug screen, background check, passing motor vehicle record and a DOT physical
- Basic knowledge of and ability to operate various types of utility trucks and equipment in a safe manner
- Basic knowledge of and ability to hand tools and equipment in a safe manner
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively with customers, employees, etc.
- Regular and timely attendance is an essential function of this position
- Must be able to perform the above for at least 10 hours per day 4 days per week. May be required to work over-time; after hours; on weekends, for emergencies or on-call
- Class A Commercial Driver’s License
- 2 years of experience in the utility construction industry
- Ability to read prints and interpret utility maps to identify the type and size of underground utilities
- Duties outlined in this position will require the employee to stand, crouch, sit, bend, use hands and fingers to handle or feel as well as reaching with hands and arms to spaces both high and low. The employee will be standing, walking, climbing, balancing, crawling, crouching, lifting, holding or stooping while on shift.
- Ability to work while wearing safety boots, safety glasses and hardhat
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions which can include but is not limited to: extreme heat and cold temperatures; inclement weather such as wind, rain, snow, sleet and dust as well as adverse driving conditions including wet roads, icy roads, and fog
- Employees in this job classification may be exposed to dust, fumes or other airborne pathogens.
- Must be able to lift/carry 50 lbs regularly and up to 100 LBS as needed with or without assistance Applicants are required to pass all company drug testing, submit to a background check and adhere to all OSHA, state, city/municipality safety requirements and training provided by the company as required.
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. It is intended as a general guide of the job duties and tasks the person in this position may be asked to perform as part of our PEAK team. It is by no means an exhaustive list of all of the job duties or responsibilities that may be assigned to this position. Position descriptions may occasionally be updated, as necessary, to reflect evolving business needs, and such changes may not be reflected immediately in written form.
Refusal or unwillingness to perform duties and tasks assigned in a positive, professional and productive manner, even if seeming to fall outside of this description, may be considered insubordination and a violation of PEAK policies and expectations.
Please send your resume or submission via email to email@example.com with “Underground Construction Technician” in the subject line.
PEAK is an equal opportunity employer.